The 2015 Fall European Diplomacy Workshop
30 November – 5 December 2015
The European Diplomacy Workshop (EDW) is a week-long, first in Europe program devoted solely to the Eastern Partnership, European Neighborhood Policy and European Union Foreign Policy. Based on workshops from experts in the fields of EU Foreign Policy (Eastern Partnership and European Neighborhood Policy), and hands-on skills training in International Negotiations, Strategic Planning and Leadership, the European Diplomacy Workshop is designed for emerging political and social leaders, public servants and non-governmental representatives who are eager to learn how to influence the changing context of their country. The program is organised in cooperation with Konrad AdenauerStiftung and PZU.
· 40 hours of rigorous lecturers, seminars, workshops, study visits and simulations
· Unique combination of practice and theory, allowing participants to both participate in traditional lectures and engage in the learning process
· Stimulation of the participant’s engagement by way of discussions and presentations
· Meetings with top-level EU officials and diplomats. Previous editions have met with Senator Richard Lugar, Professor Danuta Huebner (MEP), Minister Bernard Kouchner, Secretary General Javier Solana, Minister Borys Tarsyuk and President Lech Walesa
· Workshop on multilateral negotiation and leadership skills
· Emerging political and social leaders who want to make difference in their country
· Internationally minded persons who are interested in public service and have passion for serving their fellow countrymen
· Professionals eager to acquire the leadership training and skills to take on the world’s most demanding issues
· Highly motivated students who are dedicated to mastering the practice of international relations
The European Academy of Diplomacy is proud to have more than 150 alumni from theEDW from 30 different countries (Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Canada, China, Colombia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, India, Italy, Lithuania, Latvia, Luxembourg, Moldova, Montenegro, Netherlands, Nigeria, Poland, Romania, Russia, Slovakia, Spain, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, United Kingdom, the United States).
· Providing the participants with an comprehensive understanding in the fields of EU Foreign Policy, Eastern Partnership and Russia & EU relations
· Giving participants opportunities to broaden their EU and regional specific knowledge and acquire and practice essential skills necessary for shaping the modern world
· Establishing a forum for exchanging experiences and enhancing cooperation between leaders from Europe, Asia, and the Middle East
· Development of expert level knowledge and communication skills
· Reinforce negotiations and decision-making skills.
What others say about the European Diplomacy Workshop
“The European Academy of Diplomacy and the Konrad-Adenauer-Foundation have been connected for many years in a close and cooperative partnership. One reason for this good cooperation is, that, when you are working together with the EAD, you always can bank upon high professionalism, perfect organization and a special, warm atmosphere which is a trademark of EAD events”
– Dr. Christian Schmitz, Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung
“The European Diplomacy Workshop meant networking with incredible co-participants; working with great trainers, speakers and diplomats; enhancing knowledge of EU foreign policy, improving negotiation and presentation skills, enjoying every day and feeling sorry that it was over so soon.”
– Monica Nica, EDW Alumna from Romania
“If you want to spend a remarkable week with people who share the same values and interests; if you want to enhance your academic knowledge in EU foreign affairs and improve your practical skills in diplomacy; if you like to spend unique evenings at different embassies, you must apply for this program! The European Academy of Diplomacy does their best to make this event unforgettable. There is only one disadvantage … it is too good to last only one week!”
– Maka Mdivani, EDW Alumnus from Georgia
“Many thanks to the European Academy of Diplomacy for organizing such an amazing workshop. The workshop helped me learn, unlearn and relearn what I knew. The European Academy of Diplomacy team was very helpful, hospitable and very cheerful. I had a great week, I just wish that we had more time.”
-Pavithra Jayatissa, EDW Alumna from Sri Lanka
Our Trainers and Speakers
Our trainers are diplomats, officials from European institutions, academia, scientists and widely acknowledged experts:
· Dr. Thierry Bechet – European External Action Service, College of Europe – 2010 & Spring 2012 EDW
· Dr. Danuta Huebner – Polish Member of European Parliament – 2012 Spring EDW
· Mr. David Koschel – International Negotiations Specialist & Trainer – 2011 & Spring 2012 EDW
· Dr. Bernard Kouchner – former French Minister of Foreign Affairs – 2011 EDW
· Dr. Andrew Michta – Director of the United States German Marshal Fund in Poland – 2011 EDW
· Ambassador Jan W. Piekarski – Ambassador ad personam, EAD expert – 2010, 2011, Spring 2012 EDW
· Dr. Katarzyna Pisarska – Director, European Academy of Diplomacy
· Ms. Mona Shair – Public Speaking Coach & Trainer – 2010, 2011, Spring 2012 EDW
· Dr. Javier Solana – former Secretary General of NATO – 2010 EDW
· Dr. Ewa Synowiec – European Commission – 2011 EDW
· Prof. Vaira Vīķe-Freiberga – President of the Republic of Latvia (1999 – 2007) – 2013 EDW
· Dr. Ilona Hunek – Negotiations Trainer, Koźmiński University – 2014 EDW
· Dr. Kerry Longhurst – College of Europe – 2013, 2014 EDW
· Dir. Marek Całka – Director of the Eastern Department, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, – 2013, 2014 EDW
· Pres. Mikheil Saakashvili – President of Georgia (2004 – 2013) – 2014 EDW
Unless otherwise specifically stated, the European Diplomacy Workshop is held in the conference rooms of the European Academy of Diplomacy located in Warsaw, Poland:
European Academy of Diplomacy
Ul. Oleandrow 6
00-629 Warsaw PL
Dates & Applications
The Fall 2015 European Diplomacy Workshop will be held on 30 November – 5 December 2015.
All applications are required to submit a current CV (in Europass format). Application dealine is 16th of November 2015.
A select number of scholarships will be awarded to participants from Eastern Partnership countries (Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, Moldova, Ukraine).
To be considered for a scholarship, you must have completed your 4th year of studies (graduate students, doctoral candidates and early career professionals may also apply) and submit an essay (in English, max. 3 pages, font: Times New Roman, 12, margin: 2,5, word format) on one of the topics below:
1. The Eastern Partnership as an EU initiative – a success, failure or a big unknown?
2. Eurasian Economic Union vs. the European Union – a cooperation or rivalry project for the post-Soviet Space?
3. The post-Soviet space without frozen conflicts – what would have to change?
To apply for the scholarship, submit CV (in Europass format) & short Statement of Motivation and the Essay to the APPLY link above. The scholarship covers accommodation, meals (breakfasts, lunches, coffee breaks), workshop & materials, certificates. Participants are expected to arrange their own travel and visas if necessary.
Scholarship application dealine is 12th October 2015.
335 EUR (without accommodation) or 535 EUR (with accommodation, same gender, double occupancy rooms)
The registration fee includes 6 days of the courses, materials, coffee breaks, lunches, social events and diploma. All participants are expected to arrange their own travel and visas if necessary.