The Center aims to develop skills, improve competencies, study and implement best practices of English-language academic and cross-cultural communication among students, teachers, researchers, and employees of the University by providing effective educational solutions.
The main tasks of the Center are:
- organization of scientific-practical seminars, training sessions, lectures, thematic workshops, and educational courses on English-language academic and cross-cultural communication
- development and implementation of training certification programs
- conducting research and implementation of research and innovation projects
- initiation, coordination, and holding of various scientific and practical conferences (international, national, etc.)
- forming and developing strategic partnerships with centers of academic communication and cross-cultural studies of leading universities in the EU and the world
- development of teaching materials and textbooks, preparation of translations, and publication of books
- development of proposals, methodological recommendations, and the provision of systematic consulting services for the improvement of syllabi and the teaching of subjects in English
- initiation, organization, and support of English-language educational programs at the University
- advising on preparation for international certification exams and English language tests and testing of English language proficiency
- conducting methodological activities and training programs for representatives of other higher education institutions
- preparation of webinars and mass online open courses
- conducting distance learning courses
- consultations on writing and preparing articles for international scientometric journals
- creating a platform for multidisciplinary events and interdisciplinary discussions
- collaborating with representatives of the creative industries and industry experts
- promotion of the idea of learning academic skills and abilities of English-speaking oral and written communication
- providing consultations and cooperation with other departments of the University in conducting international events, implementing international projects and grant programs
Where we are:Ivan Franko National University of Lviv, Universytetska St. 1,
Lviv, Ukraine, 79000
Director of the Center for English-language Academic and Cross-Cultural Communication
Associate Professor at the Hryhoriy Kochur Department of Translation Studies and Contrastive Linguistics
Iryna Odrekhivska holds a Ph.D. in Translation Studies and is also an Associate Professor at the Department of Translation Studies and Contrastive Linguistics, Ivan Franko National University of Lviv. She authored a range of monograph chapters (Cambridge, Berlin, Leiden-Boston) and papers in international indexed journals in Humanities (Scopus). She also co-authored a textbook “Handbook of Economic Translation Practice” (2020). She was the 2019 Wayne Vucinich Fellow at Stanford University, running the research project in Ukrainian Studies. In 2018, Iryna Odrekhivska was affiliated as a Coimbra Postdoctoral Research Fellow in the Institute of Translation Studies at the University of Graz (Austria). She is also the Founder and Head of the Board of the NGO “Education Laboratory”, as well as a member of the European Society for Translation Studies.
Coordinator for development and implementation of the lifelong learning concept
Assistant Professor at the Hryhoriy Kochur Department of Translation Studies and Contrastive Linguistics
Anna Halas graduated from the Ivan Franko National University of Lviv, where she studied at the Department of Translation Studies and Contrastive Linguistics. Thereafter, she continued her education in the UK – won a John McGrath Scholarship to study postmodern literature at the University of Edinburgh and studied at the Faculty of English Language and Literature of Oxford University as a Chevening scholar. Completed a postgraduate program at the Ivan Franko National University of Lviv focusing her research on theatre translation.
Anna has been working with “adult education” for many years. She has been a part of international projects working with motivation in adult education, methodology for teaching adult students, age-specific learning characteristics, social barriers in learning, etc. As a certified educational coach, Anna helps adult students with their learning.
Anna is active as a translator of academic literature into English (works mostly in Humanities), as well as a theatre translator.
Coordinator for cooperation with industry experts to provide advisory and educational services and organize events and courses on modern aspects of English-language communication
Associate Professor of the Hryhoriy Kochur Department of Translation Studies and Contrastive Linguistics
Oleksandra Litvinyak, Ph.D. in Translation Studies, Associate Professor of the Hryhoriy Kochur Department of Translation Studies and Contrastive Linguistics, is an interpreter and translator (working in English/Ukrainian combination) and interpreter/translator trainer at the Ivan Franko National University of Lviv, Ukraine. Author of 2 manuals, a collection of exercises for interpreter training, a number of articles, and translations. Research interests: methods of and approaches to interpreter (and translator) training, Interpreting Studies. Member of the Ukrainian Translator Trainers’ Union and Women in Localization – Ukraine Chapter.